Friday, September 25, 2009

Dear Friends and Family,

Once again, it's been too long since I have posted! I've included individual shots of each of the kids, and a few more pictures of my classroom. Pictures of the school and the kids doing activities for Outdoor Education Week will be coming late next week. Thanks for reading!

A view of my classroom during Friday free-time.
The front...
And another view!


This is Pablo - he's one of my mischievous boys! He loves to answer and talk...and has a pretty amazingly loud voice! :)


This is Jenny - she is one of my chatty/struggles to focus girls! She loves to participate in math - and today, she said a whole sentence in English! She was here last year, but she is slower to speak/remember English than some of the other kids.

This is Elaine - she's one of my highest students in math, and speaks really good English as well!


This is Jaquidys - she is the daughter of the high school math teacher here, and is one of my highest students - she loves to come visit after school and be my helper while her dad has planning time!

This is Dorisbel - she is new to Doulos this year, and came from the United States.

David is a new student to Doulos - he is very bright, and is learning so much English, although it is still a huge struggle for him! He told me at the beginning of the year, "Profe (what so many kids call me!), yo no hablo ingles -necesita hablar en Espanol!" (I don't speak English, you need to speak in Spanish!) - I tried to explain that he was here to learn English, and that's why I had to speak in that language! Not that he would understand me any better if I tried to speak my broken Spanish!

Jocabed - another student who is new to Doulos! She is very loving, but hard to engage in the classroom! I think she's starting to shut down because she cannot understand...I need to start some tutoring to help with that!

This is Melisa - she's the best English-speaker in my class. She's fluent in Creole (her family is Haitian), Spanish and English. She always raises her hand to answer every question - she'll make an answer up on the spot if she doesn't know!!

Denisse - she's another one of my new students. She's really been flourishing the last few weeks, and has made a lot of friends - she is really quick at memorizing, and I think she'll be one of my higher students in all subjects once she starts understanding English more!

Frenesi is a really sweet girl (sounds generic...but she really is!) - she was at Doulos last year, and know quite a lot of English, although she's usually pretty quiet!

Marky - he is one of my huggers! He was at Doulos last year, and he is extremely bright! His English keeps getting better and better as the year goes on.

Katherine - she is one of my artistic students - she always takes more time to color or draw pictures than other students, because she is spending so much time doing it perfectly! She is one of my better English-speakers.

So, that's a synopsis of the children in my class - I did get a new student, Layshah (she moved up from kindergarten) who I have not been able to take a picture of yet. That will be coming with my next round of pics! Thanks for looking!
Blessings,
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment